Why The British School?
We are very proud of our school and the achievements of our students. Here are just a few of the reasons you or your child will benefit from life at BSAK:
- The British School Al Khubairat is a British curriculum school catering for students from age three to 18-years-old, offering an education of the highest quality for your child right through from nursery to sixth form.
- We are the most established school in Abu Dhabi, with excellent facilities and an enviable reputation across the region and internationally.
- The school’s high standards are recognised internationally. We are currently the only school in Abu Dhabi to have been granted membership of the Council of British International Schools (COBIS), and the only school in the Gulf that holds membership of the three prestigious British education bodies, the Independent Association of Prep Schools (IAPS), the Headmasters’ and Headmistresses’ Conference (HMC) and COBIS.
- In our latest independent inspection, carried out by the UK’s Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), we were ranked ‘Excellent’ in every category – the highest score available – with the inspectors remarking that the school is outstanding in several areas (ISI inspection report, April 2011)
- We are a not-for-profit organisation, which reinvests all its income into the school for the benefit of the children.
- Our history is interwoven with the history of Abu Dhabi itself; we have a strong heritage and exceptional experience in the Emirate. We were established in 1968 on land generously donated by the then ruler of Abu Dhabi, His Highness Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan. In 1971 the school was formally registered as a legal entity by Amiri decree.
- We have nearly 1,800 students, of more than 50 nationalities. Our students benefit from the highest quality British education in a truly multi-cultural environment.
- The quality of the pupils’ academic achievement is excellent overall, and pupils across the school are “extremely well educated.” (ISI inspection report 2011)
- “The quality of the pupils’ personal development is excellent, and their spiritual, moral, social and cultural awareness is outstanding.” (ISI inspection report 2011)
- “The quality of the teaching is excellent across the school.” (ISI inspection report 2011)
- We are a centre of excellence for music and performing arts in the region. We offer lessons in more than 20 instruments as well as voice coaching; we have numerous instrumental ensemble and choral groups meeting weekly; and we are privileged to benefit from many collaborative ventures with some of the world’s leading musicians and orchestras who visit Abu Dhabi throughout the year.
- The British School is committed to becoming a centre of sporting excellence for the region. We offer outstanding specialist sports coaching in rugby, netball, cricket and football, with a team of leading sports coaches from the UK. In addition, we have a very strong PE department offering a wide range of sports to children of all levels and ages.
- We encourage the development of the whole child, and have a broad spectrum of extra curricular activities available to each student. We offer more than 100 after-school clubs, as well as numerous additional activities run at the school by outside organisations.
- We work closely with parents to provide the best possible education for the students. Our teachers and Senior Leadership Team operate an open-door policy to parents; we are approachable and transparent and communicate regularly with parents; and we actively encourage parent participation in school lessons, activities and in their child’s learning. As a result we enjoy very strong parental support.
- The British School is a happy, successful school, with a positive, energetic and friendly atmosphere.